Monday, May 18, 2009

The New Us

 

Having a family of five seems very large. While I never thought that our family of four was very big, some how five has seemed to make our size double.

Today a woman probably in her late thirties to early forties pushing her 9 month old baby in a stroller stopped in front of my house. She saw me outside with my three children. She looked me up and down and asked if the children were all mine. When I responded in the affirmative she asked if I took care of all three by myself. I tried not to laugh and said I did. She couldn't believe I could manage to care for all three of my children. She then asked if I was going to have anymore. Somehow that is every one's question to me. Having another child is not something I think about when I already have a baby in my arms.

I must say that I don't mind everyone pointing out that I have my hands full. (A common comment I hear wherever I go.) My first response is to agree with them and then delegate.... I am a mom and have learned to delegate everything. So when I hear this comment I put them to work. For instance, as we are all heading into the grocery store and I hear, "you have your hands full" I smile and say "Yes I do. Would you mind getting a cart for me?" Everyone is so willing to help me out. It really has been nice. They see that I am in need and I find a way for them to fulfill that need and they seem happy to do it.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Eight Is Great! said...

I get that a lot myself :) Or they ask me if they are all mine. No I just collect kids around the neighborhood. :) I think your doing great with your three. Three seems to be hard for everyone. It gets easier. If you can do three you can do any number. Keep up the good work. Amber

Kara said...

What a great post, Summer--very insightful. I'm already getting a lot of the same comments and questions with our two and one on the way, but it had never occurred to me to delegate. I'm definitely going to try it!

David and Jana said...

Cute picture! You look great! What a handsome family. 3 is where you learn alot. You're outnumbered and never have enough hands. But, by now you know what you're doing. Your 4th will be so much easier. Tha has been my experience. I am loving having 4.
Miss you!

Sara and Matthew said...

I was laughing when I read this post. Everytime I go out with my three kids I get that comment. How smart of you to turn it around and use it to your advantage!

Jackie said...

This is so smart, I get the handful comment mostly because of a single very energetic boy so I need to remember to delegate duties like this! So fun! Cute family picture everyone!

Kristin said...

You are more patient than I am. I cannot STAND the "You sure have your hands full" comment. Seriously people, can you not come up with something more original?

Maybe if I were a better at delegating it wouldn't be so bad. I really don't want anyone else's help, mainly because it messes up my system for handling things when someone else gets involved.

You look great and your kids are darling. I can't believe how big the older ones are!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Nice posting. Always people will look for the thing that they can laugh at. Making the comments as a positive one is really a great thing. Hats Off