Saturday, March 13, 2010

My second time at 10 miles

Monday I did 5 miles of speed work. It was fun because I watched the new Music Man with Matthew Brodrick. It reminded me so much of the funny girls I hung out with in high school. If you are one of them you already know why (via email). Anyway it was very energizing.

Wednesday I was sick and did't want to do anything. So...I didn't.

Thursday I ran 6 miles with two friends. It was great. I was a little faster than one of them so they decided to run at my pace. I tried coaching them along to run a little faster but after 3.5 miles they were ready to slow down. However, I took off at the end which was fun. I was glad I had so much energy at the end. It was great.

Friday I was so busy and still sick, even more so because of running 6 miles the night before. I only put in 2 miles.

Saturday I RAN 10 MILES! My second time ever going that far. YEAH ME!! I realized that I can play the mind game to motivate myself for about 9 miles and then I'm sunk. I have to talk myself through the rest. I can't listen to music, I just have to give myself a pep talk the whole way. At one point I thought if I could visualize being propelled forward like grabbing vines I could go further. (Does that make sense?) So my idea wasn't working I needed more. I ran up on a bridge and I pushed off the railing to propel myself. Ahh that last mile was so agonizing. I kept thinking to myself, I don't want to run a half-marathon, I don't even want to run 10 miles today. I just had to tell myself to shut-up and keep moving. Keep those legs moving.
I also thought about how I approach hills. I generally like to run up hills as fast as I can to get it over with. I sink low in my hips and pump my way up to the top. I don't take the down hill fast either I kind of recover. I wonder if that's a good way to do it.
That's all for now..
23 miles clocked in this week.

No comments: